Wednesday, February 15, 2012

REVIEW: Maybelline Lash Stiletto Mascara

Happy Hump day!!

I've been using this mascara for a few months now and thought I'd post my thoughts on it... Why not?  I believed I purchased this because it was on sale.  My Estee Lauder Mascara expired and was time for something new.

Product Photos:
 Bristled brush picks up product well.  I have no complaints.




What Maybelline says:  

" Why You'll Love It
The hottest thing lashes will ever wear. The mascara that does for lashes what stilettos do for legs.
• Grip & Extend brush grasps each lash and coats from every angle
• Elastic formula stretches lashes for provocative length
• Pro-Vitamin B-5 formula conditions and smoothes for black-patent shine
• Contact lens safe
• Ophthalmologist-tested
• Waterproof, also available in Washable formula 


For Best Results
Sweep Grip & Extend brush upwards from root to tip to grasp each lash and 
coat from every angle to achieve extreme length and shine. Continue building 
lashes until you reach your desired look.  
Do not let dry between coats. Removes easily with soap and water or Expert Eyes® 100% Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. "
* Taken directly off Maybelline.com website (here).

My results...    

  After one Coat (left eye)

After two Coats + curl (Both eyes)


My Thoughts...

Things I like:
- I quite like my overall result.  It does add length, but it is more noticeable after a second coat.  One coat is okay, two coats is better.  I tend to re-curl my lashes at the end, cause I like them really curled.  
- This mascara also non-irritating to me.  I used CG Colossal in the past and my eyes would always get itchy. 
- No noticeable fall out

Things I don't like: 
I find removing mascara much easier using oil based makeup remover.  I use Clinique.  Also, quite frequent (or maybe I'm just bad at this) but alot of the time when I think all the product is gone and I go to bed, I wake up the next morning with more product on my lower lash line (raccoon eyes).  So when you remove this mascara, make sure you do it WELL.  

Also, when applying the first coat I let it dry just a bit before applying my second to build length.  It says don't, but I do and find it works better this way (for me).  Plus, when I blink when it's still wet, it transfers easily to my lower lash line.   Do not want.


IN BRIEF:

 Pros:
Builds good length
Non-irritating
Good wear
No fall out

Cons:
Takes a longer time to fully remove
Removes better with Oil based eye makeup remover
Transfers easily when wet (try not to blink)

Overall Rating:  B
Would I repurchase?  Yes, but not eagerly.  I'd be willing to try out other brands. 




Looks like Naked 2 palette swatches were skipped..eep!   I guess that's next.
Sara. 


4 comments:

Ke said...

you should try maybelline's illegal lenths mascara i will do a review on it soon but i love it!!!

ke
my makeup blog: blissfullyke.blogspot.com

Elisa ♥ said...

i always use oil based removers, otherwise it won't come off xD

xx. Elisa
p.s feel free to join my giveaway: http://www.memorable-days.net/2012/02/giveaway-win-pair-of-circle-lenses-from.html

Jen said...

Waterproof mascaras are always meant to be removed with oil based removers (i learnt this the hard way ... Such a noob) !! They seem to sorta work on your lashes... I dont see too much of a noticeable difference but i was wondering if your lashes tend to droop after applying?

Sara said...

@ Ke: Thanks doll. I will give those a try next :)

@ Jen: I guessed I learnt it the hard way, too. Lol. Noob here, also. My lashes always droop a bit after applying, so I always recurl. They say not to, but I've always done it and not have any problems.